Skip to main content

Winton's History

Image Courtesy of The Hayward ARea Historical Society

Winton Middle School History

By John Christian

Associate Archivist, Hayward Area Historical Society

In the late 19th and early 20th century, the property where Winton Middle School is today belonged to the Winton family who farmed the site.

The construction Winton Middle School’s itself, was part of a large building boom that took place in the Hayward area during the post-World War II period. During that time, Hayward was transitioning from a largely agricultural community into a suburban community. As new residents moved to the area, schools were built to accommodate the influx of students.

Winton Middle School was one of eight local schools built between 1951 - 1952. Designed by Anderson and Simonds Architects, construction of the facility was rapid and quickly completed by February of 1952. The new school cost $503,304 (about 4.8 million in 2019 dollars). The campus was formally dedicated on December 16th, 1952, having just welcomed its first students that Fall. Winton’s first principal, H.A. Roberts, presided over the ceremony and introduced the new staff. Winton opened with 12 classrooms, a wood shop, home economics room, library, multi-purpose room, kitchen, and administrative office. Additions and changes to the original campus have since taken place.

Originally, Winton was part of the Hayward Elementary School District. On July 1, 1963 the campus became part of the newly formed Hayward Unified School District (HUSD). Winton Middle School and HUSD have been welcoming students to class ever since.